Wednesday, October 2, 2013

 The only reasonable way I can see this war ending is for the pile that currently occupies the table to be packed up and put away, so no one can violate the owner’s dishes with crumbs or wayward rice grains.  I have some additional conflict resolution ideas involving hiding all of the dishes, or liberal use of a label maker, but I feel certain neither of those ideas will actually get us anywhere. One of my favorite Dr. Seuss books as a kid was There’s a Wocket in My Pocket, and after about fifty pages of that kid who is in all of Dr. Seuss’ books listing all of the weird rhyming creatures that live in his house (nupboards in the cupboards, noothgrush on the toothbrush and all that), he finally says, “that’s the kind of house we live in, and I hope we never leave it.”  Which, despite the dish and other insanity, is sort of true of the house I live in right now, and of all the bizarre living situations I’ve had and those yet to come.   I mean, what good is it to move into crappy houses with strangers if you’re not going to at least get some good stories, and generally really good free entertainment out of the deal?  
I enjoy the way that she uses humor to make us understand the feeling of the house. The house seems like a very humorous place and I think her word choices and sentence structures display this. I like how she states outrageous options she could do. It creates crazy, funny images in your head. When she then compares her house to a Dr. Seuss book it really hits the point that her house is crazy. All of Dr. Success's books are a little wacky and reminds me exactly of what her house might feel like inside. She then ends with a question to the reader that makes you keep thinking even after the passage is over. It was a great story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment